You need to backup and restore an activation because every time you format and reinstall Windows you need to activate Windows again. My tutorial explains how to backup and restore an activation license of Windows, Office & Server. For activation you look for a valid MAK-Retail key, calling Microsoft or waiting for a KMS server to go online etc. Sometimes when you activate Windows with a previous key then you have a problem with activation and get the error message “This key has a limit of activation or is blocked. But if you want to reinstall Windows or if you switch Office and don’t want to lose the activation then you can create a backup of the activation and then reinstall Windows then restore the activation.
This activation method backs up and restores the Windows 10, Server 2016 activation as well as Microsoft Office activation.
This little utility is designed to do one thing, backup and restoring your Activation Status. I made a mirror on my Mega-Drive for the tools mentioned in my guide here, you can download it here. The original developer of this program is a Russian called ‘Ratiborus’, credits at this point goes to him for his useful program!
Troubleshooting (1) for grey out Save Activation Button
cscript "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\OSPP.VBS" /unpkey:KEY-VALUEOpen the cmd (with admin rights) - This is for x64:
cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\OSPP.VBS" /unpkey:KEY-VALUE*KEY-VALUE = Last five digit of Office Product Key!
2. During Backup Program usually, find full Retail keys but for any MAK Key you need to enter them manually in the box to complete
Done! Save the activation backup files in other partition, usb flash disk etc..
1. Disable your Internet Connection temporarily! This step is very important. 2. Check the box to “Restore WPA” and click the button “Restore Activation”.
[caption id=”” align=”aligncenter” width=”400”] Usually, if you activate with an Online key or Restore fails to check the box “Restore SoftwareProtectionPlatform” and try again.[/caption]
3. Select the right folder [Just under the Operation System something like: === 22.02.2015=18.38.27=== as you see the screenshot below with the saved activation information.
[caption id=”” align=”aligncenter” width=”400”] You may need to re-try few times if first restore attempt has not successful[/caption]
4. After program execution, the system will go to restart, you must wait for the reboot. After the reboot, the program will continue recovery.
Latest Testimonial: Tested on Virtual Machine Windows 10 Pro Retail x64 & Office 2013 Pro Plus both activated with MAK Keys By Phone successfully reinstall. Applied for Clean Installation & Upgrade.
1. Run OPA-Backup as administrator select your Windows & office Edition >> Choose an Option [Make Backup] >>> Next
2. Choose a path [Where you want to save your backup files] >> Next
[caption id=”” align=”aligncenter” width=”400”] Done![/caption]
1. Disable your Internet Connection! 2. Run OPA-Backup as administrator select your Windows & office Edition >> Choose an Option [Restore a Backup] >>> Next
3. Choose a path [Where you have saved your backup files] >> Next
4. Click and highlight save file [06 August 2015 17:04:06] >> Click Next
5. Restart Your Computer Now.
[caption id=”” align=”aligncenter” width=”400”] Done. Tested on Virtual Machine Windows 10 Pro Retail x64 & Office 2013 Pro Plus both activated with MAK Keys By Phone successfully reinstall. Applied for Clean Installation & Upgrade.[/caption]
Control Panel\Appearance and PersonalizationThen Checked Show hidden files, folders and drivers 2. Go to this location below and save entire spp folder in somewhere safe in your other hard drive, partition or usb stick DVD etc....
C:\Windows\System32\spp----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Restore the Activation 1. Reboot Windows in Safe mode and easiest way is by using msconfig via Run. 2. Choose the Boot tab and then Safe boot-Minimal, apply and restart when prompted reboot 3. Click Restart, the PCthe reboots into the Safe-mode 4. Take Ownership (registry tweak can be found in my Mega-Folder) entire ssp folder -- You can also do it manually but it is easier download and install simple register file below. Go to the Location C:\Windows\System32\spp --- right click entire folder --> Click to Take ownership. 5. After having Take Ownership you can now easily copy-paste & replace original ssp folder with your backup ssp folder. 6. Go to Run and use msconfig and choose Normal boot under General tab this time, apply and click restart when prompted! 7. When restarted your Windows & Office will be activated. That's it!