The popular video player application VLC is released today in v3.0. The new release brings several major changes and improvements. The download is available on their official FTP page or within the next three days via the official updater which you can access within the VLC program.
As always the new version is available for Linux, Mac and Windows, the Android application gets the update a little bit later.
- Core: network browsing for SMB, FTP, SFTP, NFS and other file systems supported.
- Core: support for keystores to fetch and store passwords securely.
- Core: auto-detection of external audio tracks.
- Core: support for HDMI passtrhgouh for HD audo codecs such as E-AC3, TrueHD or DTS-HD.
- Core: support for Chromecast and other output renderers, and Chromecast output module.
- Core: support for 12bits corec and extended colorspaces (HDR)
- Core: portable version of Windows build supported.
- Core: start videos paused on first frame.
- Core: support for 360 video and audio.
- Core: support for ambisonic audio and more than eight audio channels.
- Access: adaptive streaming improements, e.g. MPEG-DASH rewrite, support for HDS.
- Access: support for decompression and extraction through libarchive (tar, zip, rar).
- Access: HTTP 2.0 support.
- Access: cookie handling improvements.
- Access: DVB-T2 support on Windows BDA
- Access: new WASAPI audio capture module.
- Access: Blu-Ray open ISO over network, support for BD-J, and DVD ISO over network.
- Hardware Decoder: supports HEVC decoding and Direct3D 11 decoding on Windows.
- Hardware Decoder: supports HECV hardware decoding, MPEG-2, VC1/WMV3 on Android.
- Hardware Decoder: support for VP9 and WMV3 decoding.
- Hardware Decoder: new hardware accelerated decoder for OS X and iOS.
- Decoders: support for experimental AV1 video, ARIB STD-B24 subtitles, experimental Daala video.
- Decoders: support TDSC, Canopus HQX, Cineform, SpeedHQ, Pixlet, QDMC and FMVC codecs
- Decoders: extended MicroDVD support.
- Demuxer: MP4 demuxer rework with support for additional formats.
- Demuxer: TS demuxer rework.
- Demuxer: Support HD-DVD .evo (H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, PCM, AC-3, E-AC3, MLP, DTS)
- Demuxer: MKV improvements
- Video output: support for HDR10 in Direct3D 11 with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.
The changelog is huge and there several fixes and new features added, HDR and D3D11 support under Windows 10 together with the WMV fixed issue are the most noticeable ones.
I’m more the MPC-BE guy but VLC is still a good solution and works for all the videos and formats out there, as always it’s a matter of taste and what you really need - so decide well and have fun with the new release. I think an important step was made by integrating HDR among other decoder related changes because high quality material is on the rise and this requires a more efficient player/decoding.
VLC does it’s job very well and each release gets better and better. An interface for madVR would be perfect but maybe this is already on a todo list. Besides such ‘first world’ problems there is nothing you really miss in the new version .